Every tech company needs to develop and use high-quality software to survive in today’s fiercely competitive market. This requires highly skilled, knowledgeable developers who can design and develop to perfection with their knowledge and experience.
Thanks to this new era of remote working and cloud technologies, you can find the perfect developer to build your software from anywhere globally. But why would someone prefer a remote developer over an in-house one? A remote developer guarantees that you receive the same high-quality result as an in-house team but in a more cost-effective manner.
Read on for some more reasons to hire a remote developer and tips on finding an experienced and reliable mobile app development company.
Benefits of Hiring a Remote Developer
Here are some important benefits of hiring a remote team of developers.
By hiring remote developers, the company saves space in the office and cuts down expenses on the electricity bill and rent. Apart from this, the company also saves on basic costs like traveling reimbursement, stationeries, and utilities. This helps the company save up to 30% of the expense spent on employees.
Access to Global Talent
When you hire a remote developer, you are no longer constrained to hire a local one. Herein, you get access to a pool of high-skilled developers from different locations worldwide. This helps you discover the best talents, possessing the right expertise, experience, and qualifications that align with your company’s needs.
A report shows that employees working from home are 30% more productive than employees who visit the office daily. With these benefits, the company can leverage the employee’s full concentration and strength toward the growth of the business.
With remote developers, companies can hire people to work late at night or during evening shifts. This gives the company a break from rigid 9-6 timing and focuses on other significant corporate challenges.
Better Development Capabilities
In-house professionals cannot compete with freelancers’ development capabilities, as they have significant experience working with different project types and companies. Additionally, they have more time to make all the necessary updates and adaptations to be competitive in this market.
Things to Consider Before Hiring a Remote Developer
Here are certain things you should keep in mind while hiring any remote developer online.
- Level of experience: Knowing about the level of experience your employee holds will help you understand what kind of project they can handle and how much time they require to complete your project.
- Sample/portfolios: You should ask the potential candidate to present a sample of their past projects for evaluation.
- Tools & Technologies: Big project requires knowledge of different tools. Ensure that the developer knows the essential tools required for your project.
- Communication skills: When you hire a remote developer, make sure the candidate has good communication skills to convey any problem and confusion.
- Time zone: When you hire a talented developer or website development company, consider the time zone. Either make sure that you are available according to their time, or set up a good communication team for handling meetings.
- A flexible approach: A remote developer may bring unique ideas and viewpoints to the table based on your project requirements. Hence, the company should remain flexible toward accepting new suggestions.
- Linguistic barrier: If you hire non-English speakers, ensure that their English proficiency is acceptable and understood. As minor communication mistakes can cost you hundreds of dollars.
- Professionalism: Companies should be aware of the manner and character of the candidate. You can create a tough remote screening process that contains situation-based questions.
A Step-by-step Guide to Hiring a Dedicated Developer
Hiring a web developer is not an easy job, but you can follow these simple seven steps to make your hiring process easy.
1. Define Your Project
Before hiring developers, you should sit with your senior developers and create a detailed outline for your project. The outline should include a rough project skeleton, from the type of project you’ll be working on to the specific features and functionalities that need to be included in the solution.
2. Decide Employment Type
Once you prepare the outline of your project, it’s time to decide which type of developer will fit your project. Here are four different types of developers you can choose from.
- Full-Fledge Employment- Full-fledged employment means hiring a full-time employee. The only difference is the employee will be working from home. In such kinds of employment, the employees are given the full responsibilities of the development and are treated as any other employee.
- Dedicate team- Dedicated team hiring means you hire a team of developers rather than an individual to work on the projects. This team will be accountable for the project’s development.
- Freelancers: Freelancers are individuals that work on a contractual basis. These freelancers can be groups of developers or just an individual (it depends on your needs). You have to pay these freelancers on a per/hourly basis or by the amount of work done.
- Outsourcing- Outsourcing is the procedure by which a business transfers a portion of its business operations to experts with relevant development knowledge. Here, you have to form an agreement with an outsourcing company that outsources website development services for a specific time period.
3. Set Your Budget
To create a clear goal for the hiring process, a budget is necessary. However, the budget entirely depends on the project type, employment type, and the employee’s country. Note that developers from different countries may charge differently for their services. Some countries (America and Australia) have developers that charge more, while some charge significantly less (India). So, if you are looking for a pocket-friendly service, you can hire a developer in India.
4. Create a Specific Job Description
Once you are done with the project outline, create a job description containing important matters like skill set, years of experience, the position offered, and office location ( in this case, remote).
5. Find Developers through Remote Job Portals
To hire a remote team of developers, companies can search on remote job portals like Freelancer.com, Remote.co, and Upwork. Browse all the remote job openings from different sites and select the right candidate catering to your business needs.
6. Schedule Interviews
After selecting a group of developers, it’s time to interview all the candidates individually. Make sure that candidate has the following qualities.
- Understanding of the required tools and technologies.
- Technical skills like a programming language and framework
- Soft skills like communication, adaptability, and teamwork spirit
You must ensure that senior engineers conduct the technical part of the interview. They will be more well-equipped to gauge the technical proficiency of the candidate. Additionally, If you are hiring a candidate at a different location, you should take interviews through video calls. The video call will help you better understand the candidate’s confidence level and communication skills.
7. Make the Final Offer
Once you identify the perfect candidate, extend the offer letter stating all the important details like salary, company terms, and employment periods.
Platforms to Source Good Remote Developers
Once you’ve understood the hiring process, you will need to find a reliable place for hiring a developer. Here are five places you can find a good developer for your business.
1. Freelancing Market
There are various freelancing websites, like freelancers.com, Upwork, and Fiverr, where you can find a compatible developer. Freelancers state their work experience, samples, and cost per profile/hours in their profile. You can easily go through their profile to find the perfect freelancer according to your needs.
2. Outsourcing Agencies
With outsourcing agencies, you don’t have to do much. Simply look for a good outsourcing IT company and connect with them. The outsourced company uses its team to create programs and applications in accordance with your specifications.
Having good connections with other IT companies simplifies your hiring process. You can ask for a reference. Referrals from different companies give validation that employees’ work is authentic and worthy.
4. Online Tech Events
When searching for a Python/Java developer, a company can participate in events related to IT, developer, or Java Day. IT developers from around the globe gather together to celebrate such events. You can build many strategic partnerships by networking at hackathons, conferences, and tech events. These partnerships could benefit your company in the long run.
5. Job Boards.
Job boards are the best way to hire developers in India. You simply have to post an ad on the job board, and it will recommend you talented developers. However, it is a lengthy process and might take a little time. Some job boards are – Remote.com, Remotive, Remote.co, Naukri.com, and Indeed.com.
The world is irrevocably shifting toward remote work, and so are IT companies. A good IT company understands that developers are the world’s future, and no new software can take their place. The success of the software developed will be directly influenced by the developer’s knowledge and abilities. So, hiring should be done in a planned and precise way. You can break the process into small parts, focusing on important sections like technical interviews and communication.